Bear Valley Community Services District

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Gatehouse App Questions

What is the Client Code for the Gatehouse App?

The client code for our community is 146146

Where can I find my Gatehouse PIN number?

If you can access your Gatehouse Portal, via computer you will find the PIN number under "Occupant Info" in the "Personal" section. On the smartphone app you will find it under "My Profile".

If you cannot access your Gatehouse Portal, you will need to visit either the CSD office or the PD to have staff access your account and provide the PIN# to you. You will need to take ID so that they can confirm that the PIN belongs to you.

How do I access my Gatehouse Portal (New Resident)

In order for your gatehouse portal to be created, you must have a recorded grant deed on file at the CSD office. You can call (661) 821-4428 Monday - Friday from 8am until 4:30pm or email to confirm your portal is set up and to get your login credentials.

Where can I download the Gatehouse app for my device?

You can find the smartphone/tablet app on the appropriate app store for your device by searching for "Gatehouse Solutions"

What is an RFID Tag and Where can I purchase one for my vehicle?

The RFID tags allow residents to use the right-hand "Resident only" lane at the gate to bypass the visitor line in the left-hand lane.

You may purchase an RFID sticker at the CSD office during regular business hours. At this time the CSD is open to the public Monday - Friday from 10am to 2pm. The RFID stickers cost $12 per vehicle, per year.

Purchases must be made in person by the owner of the vehicle. Please bring your ID and current vehicle registration. If you are a renter, you will also need your lease agreement as proof of residency.

When does my RFID tag need to be renewed?

You can find the expiration date for your RFID tags in your Gatehouse Portal. On a computer this will be found under "Cards", on the smartphone app it will be found under "Access Credentials". This page shows the Activation Date and Expiration Date. The vehicle make and model for that particular RFID is shown under "Comments".

How do I renew my RFID tag?

The CSD will mail RFID renewal notices approximately one month before expiration. It will include the RFID information as well as the renewal form, with a return envelope. Renewals can be paid using cash, check, or - if you are a property owner -be applied to your water bill.

What should I do with my Windshield Sticker/RFID tag when I sell my vehicle?

Please contact the CSD so that we can de-activate your RFID and remove it from your gatehouse account. Please remove the stickers from your vehicle.

General Utility/Service Questions

What does the Bear Valley CSD do?


The CSD owns all amenities in the valley and leases these facilities to the Bear Valley Springs Association, which oversees their management and maintenance.


The Bear Valley Police Department consists of officers and gate staff. It is overseen by the Chief of Police. The department has full authority to enforce the law, including traffic laws. They provide 911 emergency service for the valley, ensure that only residents and guests are admitted, and are heavily involved in community activities and youth programs.


The CSD maintains all 110 miles of roads within Bear Valley Springs, cleans and maintains drainage easements, and clears snow from the roads. The CSD also owns and maintains all of its road repair equipment and snow plows.

Solid Waste

The CSD maintains a central solid waste transfer station. An adjacent area is provided for the disposal of green waste (landscape debris) and horse manure.


The CSD provides wastewater treatment at its facility on Lower Valley Road. All residents and amenities inside the Lower Valley Road loop (golf course area) are hooked into this sewer system. Effluent water from this treatment facility is used to maintain the golf course.


The fresh water system in Bear Valley Springs consists of dozens of wells, 40 storage tanks, and 110 miles of delivery pipe. It is monitored and maintained by the BVCSD's water department. The system provides fresh water for all residents as well as for all amenities. Each lot is metered and monthly billings are made according to water usage. BVS Resident Miles Coverdale published a video in March of 2019 that details the complexity of the BVS water infrastructure for those who are curious.

How do I set up my account billing (New Resident)

Welcome to Bear Valley! You can come into the CSD Office, and we'll help you get set up. Our office is located at 28999 S. Lower Valley Road, across from Cub Lake

Can I drop off my payment after hours?

Yes! As you exit the CSD parking lot there's a black locked payment box that you can use to drop off your payment at your convenience.

Can I view my account balance online?

  • You can view your account balance, last payment, and water usage by accessing your account through the Online Bill Pay. If you haven't signed up yet, you will need your account number and an email address to do so.

When are water leaks repaired?

Water leaks are repaired based on severity priority. Unless the repair is a dire emergency we have to wait at least one week for other utility and service providers (phone, electricity, etc) to come mark their lines in the area before we can begin.

When are roads plowed?

Snow plowing in the valley is a complicated affair due to the various microclimates. Our roads are given priorities based on the amount of traffic they typically see, and we try to get the most heavily traveled roads cleared first. We have an entire page dedicated to our snow plow procedures.

Transfer Station (Dump) Questions

What are the Transfer Station days and hours?

Open Hours: 8 am to 8 pm

Days Closed: Monday/Thursday

Who can access the Transfer Station?

  • Vehicles displaying a current Bear Valley CSD windshield decal
  • If no decal is present, residents must present a current BVSA amenities Card
  • Contractors must present a manifest, signed by the homeowner.

Are the green waste and manure closed on Monday/Thursday?

Yes, the entire site is closed on Monday and Thursday

When are the bulk pickup/spring cleanup events?

We normally schedule these for spring and fall, but this year many of the facilities and bulk cleanup events around the county have closed due to COVID-19. We will have to postpone ours until the county is prepared to accept the waste. We will post new dates as soon as we are able.

What can/cannot be recycled?

Please recycle the following:

  • Plastic bottles and containers - clean and dry the containers and then put the cap back on before tossing
  • Food and beverage cans - empty tin, aluminum and steel cans and empty aerosol cans (remove any plastic caps and lids)
  • Paper, newspaper and magazines - must be clean and dry. If they are wet or food soiled, please compost instead
  • Cardboard/Paperboard - please flatten all cardboard before depositing in the bin
  • Glass bottles and containers

Not allowed:

  • Garbage bags/plastic bags
  • No food or liquids - all containers must be clean and dry
  • No clothing or linens - please donate gently used clothing, otherwise deposit into household waste
  • No hoses, wires, chains, electronics or other items which may tangle in sorting machinery

What materials are prohibited at the Bear Valley CSD Transfer Station?

  • All treated or processed lumber including plywood, pallets, fencing, and paneling (any wood that is not a tree or shrub)
  • Electronic waste (televisions, computers, computer monitors, phones and other electronics)
  • Appliances including refrigerators, microwaves, hot water heaters, and air conditioners
  • Construction/building materials including carpeting, tile, linoleum, and drywall
  • Furniture of any kind
  • Metal and scrap metal/iron
  • Concrete, rock and dirt
  • Autos, auto parts (including tires) and trailers
  • Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) including cleaners, herbicides/pesticides, paints and varnishes, light bulbs, and batteries

These items may be taken to the Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill, located at 12001 E. Tehachapi Blvd.

The Tehachapi Landfill is open 7 days a week:

  • Monday - Saturday open 8 am to 4 pm
  • Sunday open 8 am to 12 pm
  • Closed: New Years Day, Easter Sunday, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas

There is no charge at the Tehachapi Sanitary Landfill for the following residential materials:

  • Green waste
  • Household Waste
  • Electronic waste
  • Paint/Stain/Varnish

Their website lists fees for other items including treated wood, tires, and construction materials.

What are the rules for "household waste"?

Household waste is garbage and rubbish (such as bottles, cans, clothing, compost, disposables, food packaging, food scraps, newspapers and magazines, and yard trimmings) that originates from private homes or apartments.

  • Garbage is to be securely wrapped and placed in roll-off bin
  • Human excrement, animal excrement (except livestock manure) and disposable diapers must be disposed of in a trash bag or sealed container
  • Household ashes must be thoroughly cold and placed in the ash receptacle provided by the District
  • Hypodermic syringes and needles can be disposed of by placing them within a can or bottle, sealing the can or bottle, and identifying the contents on the outside of the container.

Household Hazardous Waste

Some waste generated in homes are products, purchased for use in or around the home, that when improperly discarded, may threaten human health or the environment. Our Transfer Station is NOT permitted to accept these items. Please see "What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)" below for more information.

What is "Household Hazardous Waste" (HHW)?

Our Transfer Site is not permitted to accept Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) - those items must be taken to a Household Hazardous Waste collection event. A calendar of these events can be found on the Kern County Public Works website.

Residential Hazardous Wastes are products, purchased for use in or around the home, that when improperly discarded, may threaten human health or the environment.

These products include:

  • household cleaners
  • deodorizers
  • personal hygiene products
  • pesticides, herbicides, insecticides
  • pet care products (shampoos, pest control products, etc)
  • paint products
  • photographic chemicals
  • swimming pool chemicals
  • automotive products & fluids.

Even though a product can be easily purchased at the local store, it can still be harmful to you, your family and the environment. To identify these products, check the container label for words, such as:

Disposing of Household Hazardous Waste in your trash or dumping it down storm drains or into the sewer and septic systems can be dangerous to your health, the health of others and the environment. Thrown into your trash can, Household Hazardous Waste can pose a threat to trash collectors and workers. Dumped on the ground or street, Household Hazardous Waste can be absorbed into the ground water supply, enter storm drains and eventually pollute local lakes and aquifers.

Household Hazardous Waste can be dropped off at one of three County Special Waste Facilities or at a one-day Hazardous Waste Collection Event

What are the rules for Green Waste?

  • Branches and limbs under 4" diameter, grass clippings, and shrubbery trimmings
  • Daily disposal limit of one vehicle trip not exceeding three cubic yards of material (approximately the size of one average pickup truck bed)
  • Contractors must provide a manifest - an invoice specifying what is being disposed and the property that is the source, signed by the homeowner. This manifest can be the District template or something written by the homeowner. It must include the homeowners name, contact phone number, address where the material originated, the quantity and type of material being deposited.

What are the rules for Manure?

  • Livestock manure and manure/urine soiled bedding only. Waste hay and straw should be deposited in green waste.
  • Contractors must provide a manifest - an invoice specifying what is being disposed and the property that is the source, signed by the homeowner. This manifest can be the District template or something written by the homeowner. It must include the homeowners name, contact phone number, address where the material originated, the quantity and type of material being deposited.

Contractors & Manifests

All contractors including landscapers, gardeners and housekeepers must provide a Manifest to access the Transfer Station. This manifest is an invoice specifying:

  • Date
  • Resident's name, address and contact phone number
  • Hauler/Contractor's name, address, and contact phone number
  • Description of the waste (household garbage, tree trimmings, etc...

The District has provided a template that may be printed off and used, or the homeowner may create their own that includes the information above.

Regardless of type or source, the amount of material being deposited cannot exceed 3 cubic yards (an average pickup truck load) per day.